|We go back to the sheepherder Janssens in Laeken. His male "Vos" and female "Poets" are considered as the founders of the
Laekense shepherds. The name "Laekense shepherd" comes from the Royal domain with castle located in the municipal of "Laeken".
The original dogs did not come from Brussels, but it is assumed that they originated from the region of Boom or from the Northern
Kempen where Janssens was born.
It is possible that these dogs were bred in the family Janssens and then came with the sheepherds to Laeken and Zaventem. The region of Boom can put forward that there are some old scripts and some illustrations that represent a dog that resembles to the "Laekense type".
The name that people gave to these dogs at that time was "Bleeckhoven biter" Boom lies in the valley of the Rupel, where linen was weaven and were at night it was laid in the "bleeckweiden"
("bleach meadows") to bleach. The guarding of the linen was done by rough hairy shepherds who were well-known for their desire to bite.
The pepper and salt colour of the "Laekense" was defined by the "Club du Chien de Berger Belge"in 1899. The yellow and fox-coloured rough-hairy ones were excluded. Coincidentally at the first exhibition in Brussels there were a few pepper- and salt-coloured Laekense shepherds ("Bassoef" and "Mira" who belonged to the café owner Claessens, also owner of the well-known business "Le messager de Louvain").
These dogs had no character and did not make good descendants. It was nevertheless professor REUL who stood for that colour. The colour put in front seemed so unnatural for breeding that no Laekense shepherds would breed according to the standard despite inbreeding and selection.
"Basoef" mated with "Mira" gave the male "Boer Sus" who at his turn mated with "Jany" gave birth to "Tony". More did not come from this line. Unfortunately this aggravated just like with the Tervuren a number of breeders who resolutely separated and joined the "Berger Belge Club".
To protest they send their dogs to the exhibition held in Rotterdam - Netherland (14th April 1901) where they were overwhelmed by prizes. Finally the cut out colours did make it on the original pepper- and salt-colour and the Laekense is now restored in his formerly old rough hairy fade and red brown colour....